Friday, August 8, 2008

My Sergei: A Love Story

I picked up this book after seeing it on my friend Kim's Goodreads list. The main events of the book, and the height of stardom for Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov, take place from the late 1980s through the mid-90s, which also happens to be when I was a figure skater myself. I started off with group lessons, then began private lessons, and even entered a competition, where I came in second place. I was obsessed with figure skating, loved watching the Olympics, the movie The Cutting Edge, and anything else skating related that I could absorb. So I remember very well the team of Gordeeva and Grinkov and remember being crushed when Sergei died unexpectedly of a heart attack at the age of 28. Back then, I knew that was young, but it didn't seem as young as it does now! Being less than two weeks shy of 27, I can't imagine leaving this world so soon. But anyway, this is not about me, it's about Ekaterina's story of how she met Sergei, their life together, and how she is pushing herself to carry on...

My Sergei: A Love Story My Sergei: A Love Story by Ekaterina Gordeeva

My Review
rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a sweet story that I think would be enjoyed by anyone, but especially fans of figure skating. The relationship between Katia and Sergei spans so many years, as they essentially grow up together and go from partners to friends to lovers and finally husband and wife. Katia's story gives you a true sense of who Sergei was, and what he meant to her and to the world of skating. This was a fast, easy read, but be prepared to cry!

1 comment:

  1. OMGoodness, I didn't know that you use to be a figure skater. So cool! I was a figure skater nut growing up and LOVED watched all of the competitions on TV. This was such a sweet story and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I got teary just thinking about it again!

    ReplyDelete