Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Clear Cardstock

I rarely use clear cardstock. No real reason, just don't think of it often. But I had the idea for this card a week or two ago and thought I'd try it out. Now, this finished card is not exactly what I had envisioned. In my mind, there were going to be white polka dots stamped on the clear base to make it stand out. In theory, this was a great idea. In reality, I made a HUGE mess!! The stamp kept slipping on the acetate so that it looked more like raindrops than polka dots. And the ink would NOT dry, even after being hit with a heat gun AND being left to sit overnight. One touch of my finger and white ink smeared everywhere. Needless to say, that was not the look I was going for, so that first base went in the trash and I was forced to keep it plain.

Other than that mishap, I like how this turned out, and it's pretty close to what I first pictured. I used PTI's new set Cupcake Collection to build the cupcake image and for the sentiment as well. I used the Swiss Dots Cuttlebug folder for the background (which would have looked nice against the white polka dots *sigh*) and adhered that to the clear base. I then stuck a plain piece of white cardstock cut to the same size to the inside of the card, so that the adhesive on the yellow didn't show through. The gemstones on the sentiment strip are from that crystal wheel I keep turning to. I used my Marvy punches to create a frame for the main image and poked holes in each scallop with a paper piercer. The star on the candle and the frosting on the cupcake are coated with yellow Stickles. To adhere the oval piece to the card, I used foam dimensionals to pop it up off the card base a bit.

Supplies
Stamps: PTI Cupcake Collection
Ink: PTI Summer Sunrise, Lemon Tart
Paper: PTI Summer Sunrise, Lemon Tart, white, clear cardstock
Other: Swiss Dots cb folder, Crystal wheel, Yellow Stickles, paper piercing tool, Marvy mega oval and giga scalloped oval punched

4 comments:

  1. Fun!!! I feel your pain onthe polka dots...it would have been awesome...but I don't think it suffered the loss, love the card as is!

    Have you tried White Staz-On? I think it works Much better on acetate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all that it turned out awesome, love the yellow glitter! I got your adorable card, thank you! Have you been watching Superstars and our boy Maks, he's doing great...and doesn't look to bad either! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aack - this came out wonderful Jessica - love the glitz and clear background is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this card is looking really nice. The colors are really good and the background is also nice. Good word Jessica....!

    ReplyDelete